Monday, December 2, 2013

Our Thanksgiving



Our little family was unfortunately forced to stay in Missouri this year so we needed to have our own Thanksgiving. For our centerpiece, I just grabbed an old mason jar, wrapped a burlap ribbon around it and gathered some things from the front yard that looked "festive".


1) Our "centerpiece" // 2) Preparing our pomegranate, dried apricot, raisin and cornbread stuffing

A few weeks before TDay, I found a great stuffing recipe I wanted to try. We were at the grocery store gathering everything I would need to make a cornbread with pomegranate, dried apricot and raisin stuffing when it hit me that I might not have the time to make everything from scratch. So I took the easy way out and just grabbed a box of cornbread stuffing. It saved me a bunch of time and still turned out delicious! The stuffing was probably my favorite part!
1) Yummy pomegranate // 2 & 3) Getting the sweet potato and onions all sliced!
For our other side we just had a simple sweet potato and onion bake. Surprisingly this was the easiest dish and the worst tasting - go figure!
1) My plate // 2) the herb butter turkey // 3) the finished stuffing // 4) Our delicious bird again
We decided to go a simple route with our turkey and I'm glad we did - it was AMAZING. We just used butter, sage, rosemary and thyme and rubbed it all over that bird, cooked it for almost three hours and basted it every half hour. Mila couldn't get enough so I had to make her her own little plate!

Mila with her own Thanksgiving Day monster plate!
Afterwards Josh finally let me put up the tree and stockings while Mila napped off her turkey. When she woke up, our house was filled with the soft glow of Christmas tree lights and she was amazed. It was probably one of the best Thanksgivings of my life. Even though I missed our family, there is something special about starting your own traditions and memories!


No comments:

Post a Comment